Friday, October 2, 2015

why Jesus calls over a child


Today’s Gospel: Matthew 18:1-5, 10  

Memorial of the Holy Guardian Angels
Transitioning back to school has been tough this year. There have been lots of notes sent home from the teacher, many phone conversations, and lots and lots of tears (and most of them mine!)
Waiting for the bus the other morning, my eight-year-old son, the one suffering through these hard days of back-to-school, suggested he could say his own prayer. I said sure, and asked him, “What do you want to thank God for today?” He said, “My life.” Then I asked, “What is one thing you would like to ask God to help you with today?” and he said, “Paying attention.” Then I asked, “Is there one person in particular you would like to ask God to protect? Someone you want to say extra prayers for?”
Now, I will be completely honest. I was hoping he would say “my mom.” I was sure he was going to pick me. I felt deserving of the extra prayer. But he didn’t. Do you know what he prayed for?
“I pray for everyone who needs more help than me.”
This is the reason when asked, “Who is the greatest in the Kingdom of Heaven?” Jesus calls over a child.

Ponder:

In what ways do you need to turn and become like a child?

Pray:

Jesus, thank you for my life, help me to pay attention, and I pray for everyone who needs more help than me. Amen.