Wednesday, May 27, 2015

you do not know what you are asking

Mark 19:32-45

James and John come to Jesus and say, "Teacher, we want you to do for us whatever we ask of you."  And after they hand in their request  to sit one at his right and the other at his left, Jesus replies, "You do not know what you are asking."

This stood out to me.
You see, I ask God for a lot of things.
And of course, I ask him for things I want him to do in my life because I am sure that I am asking for what it is I truly need.

I am reminded today.
I do not know what I am asking.
Because I do not know the full story.
And maybe, what I am asking for is not meant for me.  In fact, maybe what I am asking for would be the death of me.
How can I know?

And so I remain in Him.
And I trust in Him, especially when I most don't feel like trusting.
Because He is the author of my life, not me, and He knows how it will end, not me.

Of course, I want him to do whatever I ask of Him.
But how blessed I am, that he loves me enough not to.